NEW! All adults have the opportunity to get to know our children and youth this year by serving as assistants in RE classes. No preparation required! Just spend an hour with our amazing children and youth while you fulfill our Safe Congregation practice of having two adults with our young people at all times. Read the Guidelines for RE Class Assistants online here. Then click here to view available dates and volunteer. There's no need to create a SignUpGenius account. Just click on an open date, click on "Submit and Sign Up" at the bottom of the page, and enter your name and e-mail address. Thank you!
Youth Group Schedule
We are working with youth to rebuild youth group this year and will be making some adjustments along the way as we experiment with programs and find a balanced schedule. We are considering the following revised schedule and will discuss it with youth this Sunday:
- 6:30-8:30pm 2nd & 4th Sundays of the month (with some exceptions) for 10th-12 grade youth focused on themes the youth identify and the journey group theme of the month, using Ted Talks, documentaries and the Popcorn Theology curriculum;
- 6:30-8:30pm 1st & 3rd Fridays includes 8th-12th grade youth with theme discussions continuing on the 1st Friday and a social, game night the 3rd Friday;
- 8th-9th grade youth will continue to attend the Coming of Age class Sunday mornings.
Adult RE Update
You voted and the results are in! Rev. Kimberley will offer the class, "Habits of the Heart" during Faith Friday on the 3rd Friday of each month. The class begins this month, Friday, October 18th. Please let me know if you plan to attend the series. Then, watch for RSVP requests for each 3rd Friday so we know how much pizza and salad to order.
Class description: We don’t have to be Zen masters or devout monks to be spiritual. In this course, we will explore methods for spiritual deepening, take stock of our spiritual identities, and experience a variety of spiritual practices that we can use to achieve a sense of wholeness and satisfaction, deepen our faith, and make meaning in these uncertain times.
*Watch this space for updates week-to-week.
FRIDAY, October 4th
- Journey Group facilitators meet with Rev. Kimberley at 7:30pm in classroom 41.
- Youth Group program has been moved to SUNDAY, October 6th. Youth Group will not meet tonight. Information is included below.
- The Zen group meets at 10:00am in classroom 24.
- Journey Group facilitators meet with Rev. Kimberley at 12:30pm in the parsonage.
SUNDAY, October 6th
Classes meet this Sunday and we have our first Children's Worship service. We will all begin in the sanctuary at 10:00am. After the Time for All Ages Story, we leave for classes and children's worship where we meet until 11:30am. Children 3rd grade and younger must be picked up at 11:30am. Those 4th grade and older will be dismissed to head to coffee hour.
- Childcare, ABC UU Values (room 32): Diane Keller and Hans Elsevier.
- PreK-5th Grade, Children's Worship (Fellowship Hall): Lyra and me. Approximately seven times this year, I will lead a full hour Children's Worship service. This is an opportunity for children to experience worship adapted for their needs. We will follow the order of service used during whole congregation worship services and Lyra will teach upcoming hymns we will sing in the sanctuary. We hope this will make whole congregation worship services more meaningful and familiar for the children. They may even get to pick hymns for future whole congregation worship services! Extending the theme of worship we will begin in the sanctuary, Children's Worship this Sunday is about the Jewish Days of Awe.
- 6th-7th Grade, Neighboring Faiths (room 41): Audra Russel is visiting the class to share her background in Judaism. Her experiences and stories will help deepen the youth's understanding about Judaism and bring the religion to life. Chris Breault is assisting.
- 8th-9th Grade, Coming of Age (room 11): The youth continue exploring where they are on their faith journey, identifying the gifts, talents and friends they have which can help them along their journey. Alex Sehdeva is leading and Christine Haran is assisting.
- 10th-12th Grade Youth: Youth Group will meet Sunday morning with Cyndi & Daniel Tilman. The program includes check in, discussing a possible October 27th Halloween party for the children, watching Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Ted Talk, "Danger of a Single Story" and discussing how knowing only one aspect of someone's experience or identity limits our understanding and potential for connection. Youth will also identify themes they would like to explore this year.
- Sun Oct 13 – We will experiment again with a children's area in the sanctuary for the whole congregation worship service. Parents are invited to sit in the chairs placed around the area to offer the children support. Those who find shuffling or little voices distracting might sit on the other side of the sanctuary.
- Sun Oct 20 – Arturo's Birthday Party
- Sun Oct 27 – Children are invited to wear their Halloween costumes to church
- Sun Nov 3 – Healthy Youth Relationships Retreat for 6th-8th grade, 9th-12th grade, and parents/supportive adults (click here for the flyer; register here)
- Sun Nov 17 – K-1st OWL Begins
- Sun Nov 24 – COA Families offering the Stone Soup Community Meal & Lunchtime Discussion Groups
- 1st Friday Youth Group & Journey Group Facilitators
- 1st Saturday Journey Group Facilitators
- 2nd Sunday Journey Groups
- 3rd Friday Adult Journey Group, Youth Group, Children's Journey Group
- 2nd & 4th Sunday morning Youth Group (with some scheduling exceptions)
I look forward to seeing you! Tracy