The Variety Show Planning Team received many amazing recipient proposals from the CUUC Social Justice Teams. The planning team then chose three of those organizations for the children and youth’s vote last Sunday. Although the Variety Show only raises money for one organization, we plan to bring the other causes into RE in other ways, including wonderful proposals from the Animal Advocacy Team. The three choices for the vote were:
- Brighter Futures After-School Mentoring Program provides individual and group tutoring for at-risk children who are homeless or from very low-income families.
- PrideWorks presents an annual conference for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer/questioning (LGBTQ) youth, their allies, and the adults in their lives.
- Refugee Resettlement Fund gives the gift of cultural, athletic and artistic opportunities to refugee families, especially their children. 100% of the money donated goes directly to the families.
Keep an eye out for all the ways you can participate in raising money for this good cause.
Please see the following four (4) announcements:
1) This Sun Feb 4
K-5th grades start in Fellowship Hall for Children's Worship.
6th-12th grades start in classrooms.
Pre-K - Chalice Children
K-1 - Creating Home: Our Ancestral Home
2nd-3rd - Passport to Spirituality: North America (Native American-song and dance)
4th-5th - Bibleodeon: Moses 1
6th-7th – Neighboring Faiths: Hinduism Introduction
8th-9th – Coming of Age: Belief Panel
10th-12th – Youth Group
To view the Religious Education Google calendar, CLICK HERE.
To view a spreadsheet version of the RE Calendar, CLICK HERE.
2) Teacher Enrichment Luncheon - This Sun Feb 4, 11:45-1:15
"Creating a Welcoming and Inclusive RE Ministry"
An important training for all teachers that includes check-in and topics such as:
- Can We See the World Through the Child’s Eyes?
- Strategies to Make RE Less Like School
- Teaching to Different Ways of Learning and Knowing
- Creating Moments of Transcendence
3) Children's Choir This Sun - 11:30
Lyra Harada, our Children's Music Director, will meet with children at 11:30 after RE for a Children's Choir session.
This is a great opportunity to explore spiritual development through music and develop music proficiency.
Please let us know if your children will be attending by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4) Save the Date for Our Next Faith Development Friday, Feb 16
Faith Like a River Adult RE, Family Journey Group, and Youth Social Night all happen at the same time on the third Friday of the month.
The first one was well attended and a big success. Please mark your calendars for out next gathering on Feb 16.
Director of Lifespan Religious Education and Faith Development